- Timing is Key: To give your lawn a fighting chance against the blazing sun, timing is everything. Aim to water your lawn in the early morning, before 10 AM. This allows the grass to quench its thirst before the heat intensifies. By watering early, you minimize water evaporation, ensuring your lawn gets the most out of every drop.
- The 1-Inch Rule: Watering your lawn just enough is crucial. Aim for about 1 inch of water per week. To gauge the amount, place a few empty cans around your yard while watering. When they collectively reach the 1-inch mark, you've hit the sweet spot.
- Avoid Puddle Problems: While it might be tempting to turn your lawn into a water wonderland, overwatering can do more harm than good. Shallow root growth is the last thing you want for your grass. Instead, focus on deep, infrequent watering sessions. This way, the water reaches the root zone, encouraging strong and healthy root development.
- Smart Sprinkler Strategies: Ensure your sprinklers are doing their job efficiently by positioning them properly. Cover every inch of your lawn evenly, so no patch gets left out. Keep the water on your lawn, where it belongs, and save your neighbor's cat from an unintended shower.
- Embrace Nature's Contribution: When Mother Nature decides to shower your lawn with rain, take advantage of it! Let the rain do the work for you. If it has recently rained, hold off on running your sprinklers. However, don't rely solely on rainfall; always be mindful of your lawn's hydration needs, especially during dry spells.
- Signs of Dehydration: Your lawn might not complain audibly, but it sure knows how to communicate. Watch out for signs of thirst, such as a dulling green color or crispy, brown patches. When you spot these indicators, it's time to step in with some much-needed hydration. Become your lawn's hero and save the day!
Don’t let your lawn feel the burn this summer. Here’s a guide that will ensure your lawn stays lush and lovely even in the scorching summer heat. With these practical watering tips, you'll have a vibrant lawn that will make your neighbors green with envy. So, grab your watering cans and let's dive in…
This article is for general information purposes only. Rick Kelley Builders makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability, or availability of any information contained herein.
Jeremy Kelley is a home builder and remodeler in the Columbus, OH area. He is an avid volunteer, family man, and knows the difference between your and you're.